Adding revenue while reducing
You like what you have heard about biogas (anaerobic digestion) but if you live outside Western Europe there are lots of questions. What are the potential revenue streams? How profitable is it? Are grants and incentives available? Who can you trust? Is the project feasible?
Circumstances change drastically from country to country and in the USA, from state to state. Muir Marketing Solutions has an understanding of what can work well – and what may work even better.
The “ad” in www.muirad.com could certainly stand for anaerobic digesting. For the past four years they have increased market share for technology providers through contact with farmers, agents, developers, banks and governmental organizations. Their experience means integrating MMS into your team can insure revenue streams will be maximized.
Should consulting proceed to actual digester construction we are closely affiliated with one of the world’s most successful (500 installations) biogas manufacturers, PlanET Biogas.
Every anaerobic digestion project (biogas) is unique and the farmer or developer must determine which revenue streams can bring the greatest benefit. Depending on the market:
- Electricity or natural gas can be produced and used by the farm – the excess sold to the grid.
- Significant “tipping” fees can be collected from waste haulers.
- The separated solid output from dairy digesters, can be used as animal bedding or sold to nurseries.
- Pathogen reduction means less air, soil and water pollution as well as avoidance of fines.
- Combined heat and power generators run 24/7 and providing reliable electricity and heat where energy is not dependable.
- Generated carbon credits can be sold and renewable energy credits are tradable commodities.
There are regional factors driving biogas development. For example:
- Several American states have established limits on incinerating food waste which can become a potent digester feedstock.
- Pig waste in Europe and Russian speaking countries and farmers face government fines if their manure management is unsatisfactory.
- The value of renewable natural gas (RNG) is skyrocketing. Upgrading biogas into RNG increases profits.
- Dependence on the world’s largest oil and natural gas suppliers is a political liability for many countries. Biogas is one solution.
- The price paid for biogas, the green tariff, varies from country to country and state to state.