- January 22, 2019
- Posted by: Jim Muir
- Category: Uncategorized
Game changer – $800,000 digester that converts the manure of 300-600 cows into energy.
A struggling dairy industry is looking for answers. Our client, PlanET Biogas, researched the market and found one – and it turns out smaller can be better!
The new digester model (VALENTIN) from PlanET features a tank that can accommodate a 75-100 kW generator. It is designed for liquid substrates and can process the manure of 300 – 600 adult cows. The advantages are:
- A price attractive to farmers and lenders.
- Saves the farm thousands of dollars monthly – even while the loan is being repaid.
- An environmental group will offer financial support or in some cases buy the digester and provide the farmer with free bedding.
- EQIP funds from USDA can be applied.
- Digester components are largely assembled in advance. Operational maintenance is simple, as little as 15 minutes/day.
- If electricity sales to the grid bring a low price per kW, these digesters can can instead supply the farm’s own power.
- The farm no longer pays for bedding and has excess bedding solids to sell to other farms and ans soil amendment to plant nurseries.
- Should the farmer decide to sell his farm in the future this digester is an asset that increases the sales price.
- If the farm is not sold to a farmer, the digester can be disassembled and moved to another farm.
- Some larger farms will find multiple units a smart investment.